Saturday, February 6, 2010

Was the Good Samaritan a sucker?

I cannot lie. I am not here to help people. I am here because it is a great opportunity to get paid well and travel at the same time. With this in mind, I ask the question, “Why help those in need?”. This is a complex question with many facets. Since I am on the frontline of this discussion now among the poorest people in the world, I feel that I can ask this question without the embarrassment of an armchair viewpoint in elite, rich world.
To discuss this subject, I think that it is best to do so using a specific example and reason from that point. Water. We all need it, rich or poor, it is something we all must have. To provide water to someone is a act without politics, religion, bias or pretense. People need water. As such this is a good example that removes many biases in our discussion that appear in subjects such as birth control in the developing world.
Since I have a boots on the ground perspective now, I can tell you that water is also power. In Nairobi, some sector of the city are provided water by organized crime. One could also say that providing desperate people with water takes away a major reason for these people to overthrow a corrupt and abusive government. Are you really helping to improve things in the long run doing this? As a systems engineer, I like to look at end results. What leveraging factors (small inputs that great exponential change) create the best overall affect in improving people’s lives. What about ecological affects of creating dependency on chlorine solutions in a country that cannot reliably produce it own chlorine? Does this discourage that countries own infrastructure growth? Do these people really want our help? Part of this program involves convincing people to actually use something that will save their children for horrible deaths. Are we delaying the pain that creates change.
I believe that human being only change as a society through the pain of crisis. There are some very well meaning people who care deep in their souls about alleviaring suffering. I honor these noble souls but this does not mean that they are doing the right thing. I do not have the answers to these questions because my viewpoint is limited. I ask these questions because I would like answers and perhaps this is the place to get the data to draw these conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment