Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Kenyan People

The Kenyan people are a contradiction. Contradictions frequently occur when veiwing culture filtered through one own culturally based world views. I can speak only from my own personal experience with the people of western Kenya.

Despite the crushing poverty and the shanty towns, the Kenyans are among the best dressed people I've ever seen. Several times, I have gone back to my room to wear something better. Unless a Kenyan is working a dirty job, it seems that they always wear their best despite the heat. Shorts and T-shirts are looked upon as a curiosity although most gracious Kenyans I have spoken with understand that our cultures are differant. This tolerance is something to be admired.

In this small town of busia, there seems to be a school on every corner. Education is highly valued and Kenya has one the highest literacy rates in Africa. Bargaining is expected and being generous with tips can be viewed as showing off. Kenyans respect any attempt to learn the language and you will get treated better if you try.

Kenya is dusty, dry and frequently dirty. My cold shower is a luxury. Space is all. Living seems to be about creating a zone or compound from which you push out the dirt and poverty and create a space of clean. All nicer places have walls in a villa layout. In Nairobi, which is consider by some the most dangerous city in the world, the walled compounds have barbed wire and sometimes electric fences.

As I am becoming more familiar with Kenya, I am starting to relax a little. My first few days were harrowing and challenging. Being with the NGO now certainly helps!

1 comment:

  1. "space of clean", great turn of phrase! Is there no hot running water, or do you prefer the cold shower in order to cool off as well?

    ReplyDelete